ATHLETES AND VOLUNTEERS CELEBRATED AT THE 2017 BADMINTON ONTARIO AWARDS GALA
Media Release June 15, 2017
The annual Badminton Ontario Awards Gala was held in the Toronto Don Valley Hotel on June 10th. The evening saw athletes, officials, coaches and volunteers celebrated for their contributions, achievements, and hard work within the 2016/2017 season.
The awards portion of the evening began with recognition of the volunteers of the year per district. Each of the recipients continuously take time out of their schedules to grow the sport in diverse ways within their own communities. The following are the volunteers of the year per district.
– Central Ontario Badminton Association – Russ Le Blanc
– Georgian Bay & District Badminton Association – Curt Hillman
– Northern Ontario Badminton Association – Marian Childs
– Toronto District Badminton Association – Lynda Cho
– York Regional Badminton Association – Brian Yang
– Western Ontario Badminton Association – Richard Tremblay
The evening continued with the Lifetime Achievement Awards in the category of Coaching. Two highly respected coaches were honoured for their many years of tireless work in teaching and developing athletes. The recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Awards were Mike De Belle (The Granite Club) and Cindy Huras (Brantford Badminton Club/Fanshawe College).
The focus of the gala turned towards the athletes from each age discipline who have worked incredibly hard in the past season and have achieved outstanding success in competition. Badminton Ontario would like to send a special congratulation to all the winners and the nominees, your hard work continues to inspire not only your fellow athletes but everyone in the province as well. The winners of the athlete of the year are broken into each age category below.
– U19 Boys – Brian Yang – E Badminton Training Centre
– U19 Girls – Katie Ho-Shue – E Badminton Training Centre
– U17 Boys – Stanley Feng – Lee’s Badminton Training Centre
– U17 Girls – Jaqueline Cheung – Mandarin Badminton Club
– U15 Boys – Ivan Li – KC Badminton Club
– U15 Girls – Rachel Chan – Lee’s Badminton Training Centre
– U13 Boys – Jeffrey Liu – Mandarin Badminton Club
– U13 Girls – Katy Wong – Su Badminton Club
– U11 Boys – Liam Zhang – KC Badminton Club
– U11 Girls – Lyric Su – KC Badminton Club
The final awards went to the individuals who have made a significant contribution to the sport of badminton in Ontario in the past year. Thanks to their enthusiasm and continuous support, our sport has continued to grow in many different areas. The following are the recipients of the Official of the Year, The Keith Holland’s Award, The President’s Award and the Club Competition Banner.
– Official of the Year – William Thomson
– Keith Holland’s Award – Ian Moss
– The President’s Award – Teresa Prevoe
– Club Competition Banner – KC Badminton Club
Badminton Ontario would like to congratulate all the award winners, recipients, and nominees. We look forward to the future and the upcoming Junior Pan Am Championships which will be held at the Markham Pan Am Centre from July 21st to the 28th.
For photographs of the Awards Gala evening, please visit our Facebook page!
Badminton Ontario (BON) is a not for profit amateur sport organization responsible for badminton within the province of Ontario. Badminton Ontario’s vision is to connect with all athletes participating in badminton in Ontario, inspire athletes to cherish badminton and establish it as their sport for life.
For more information, please contact: Luis Paredes, Badminton Ontario, at email@example.com
Number of views (1183)/Comments (0)
PLEASE LOGIN OR REGISTER TO POST COMMENTS.