Badminton Ontario names Head Coach for the 2019 Canada Winter Games
Eligibility requirements for athletes also released
July 25, 2018
(Toronto, Ontario) Badminton Ontario is pleased to announce Jennifer Lee has been named the head coach of Team Ontario for the 2019 Canada Winter Games badminton events. The 2019 Canada Winter Games will be held in Red Deer, Alberta from February 15th to March 3rd. Badminton will be held during the second week of competition at the newly built Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre.
Jennifer Lee began playing badminton at the age of 11 and was originally a part of the Hong Kong national team until she moved to Vancouver in 1985. In 1993 after suffering an injury, Lee became a coach and developed a training enter in 1995 called “Lee’s Badminton Training Centre” in Markham. Lee currently holds an Advanced Coaching Diploma and has helped contribute to the development of International medalists such as Michelle Li and Rachel Honderich. Coach Lee was also Ontario’s female coach of the year for 2012.
Athletes looking to be a part of Ontario’s 2019 Canada Winter Games Badminton team will need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
· Athletes must not be a senior National Team athlete.
· Must be under the age of 23 for male and female by December 31, 2018.
· Athletes are not eligible that have held an SR1 or SR2 card at any time
· Athletes who have previously competed at the following events:
o Senior BWF World Championships
o Olympic Games
o Paralympic Games
o Commonwealth Games
o Pan American Games
o Parapan American Games
· Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
· An athlete's permanent residence must be located in the province they are representing, for at least 180 days prior to the games. An athlete can have only one permanent address.
· An athlete attending school on a full-time basis outside their Province or Territory of permanent residence during the year of the Canada Games, shall be permitted to compete for either their Province or Territory of permanent residence or the Province or Territory in which they attend school.
· An athlete who is training outside his or her Province or Territory of permanent residence may represent the Province or Territory in which they are training, provided they can demonstrate a commitment to the Province or Territory they wishes to represent, by being member of a club or Provincial/Territorial Sport Organization.
Eligible athletes are required to attend the following camps/tryouts, which will be held in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). More information on these camps and tryouts will be released later.
Camps and tryouts will be held on the following dates:
· Aug 27th -31st, 2018
· Oct 2018, exact dates too be confirmed
· Dec 24th , 27th , 28th and 31st, 2018
· Selection tournament (Jan 11-13th, 2019), a week after the 2019 Toronto Open.
· Final team camp Feb 1st -3rd , 2019
The final Team Ontario will be announced shortly after the conclusion of the selection tournament in January.
For more information on the 2019 Canada Games, please visit the official website of the event here.