Canada Winter Games - Team Ontario
The Canada Winter Games (CWG) are held every four years. For the sport of Badminton, athletes selected to the Canada Games team will be from the “Training to Win (T2W)” athlete category, as per Badminton Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development Model (LTAD). The Canada Winter Games include both a Team Competition and an Individual Competition consisting of MS, LS, MD, WD, and MX. Canada Games regulations state that selected athletes can compete in a maximum of two individual events. Badminton Ontario has the responsibility to select a maximum of 5 male and 5 female athletes for the Canada Games Team.
The 2019 Canada Winter Games will be held in Red Deer, Alberta from February 15th to March 3rd. Badminton will be held during the second week of competition at the newly built Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre.
Athletes looking to be a part of Ontario’s 2019 Canada Winter Games Badminton team will need to meet the following eligibility requirements:
· Athletes must not be a senior National Team athlete.
· Must be under the age of 23 for male and female by December 31, 2018.
· Athletes are not eligible that have held an SR1 or SR2 card at any time
· Athletes who have previously competed at the following events:
o Senior BWF World Championships
o Olympic Games
o Paralympic Games
o Commonwealth Games
o Pan American Games
o Parapan American Games
· Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
· An athlete's permanent residence must be located in the province they are representing, for at least 180 days prior to the games. An athlete can have only one permanent address.
· An athlete attending school on a full-time basis outside their Province or Territory of permanent residence during the year of the Canada Games, shall be permitted to compete for either their Province or Territory of permanent residence or the Province or Territory in which they attend school.
· An athlete who is training outside his or her Province or Territory of permanent residence may represent the Province or Territory in which they are training, provided they can demonstrate a commitment to the Province or Territory they wishes to represent, by being member of a club or Provincial/Territorial Sport Organization.
The final Team Ontario will be announced in January shortly after the conclusion of the camps.
For more information on the 2019 Canada Games, please visit the official website of the event here.
Eligible athletes are required to attend the following camps/tryouts, which will be held in the Greater Toronto Area. Camps and tryouts will be held on the following dates:
· Sept 1-3, 2018 (Lee's Markham) $375
· Oct 13-14, 2018 (UOIT Durham) $75
· Dec 24th , 27th , 28th and 31st, 2018 (Lee's Markham) $300
· Jan 11-13, 2019 (Lee's Mississauga) $150
· Final team camp Feb 1st -3rd , 2019 (Lee's Mississauga) $150
***Attendance at all camps is mandatory to be considered for the Team.
Fee is $75 per day.