Two teams of 5 boys and 5 girls (see age criteria below) will be selected to represent YDBA. The team will have two alternates, one boy and one girl who will only go to the games if a selected player can not attend.
Date/Time/Location of Tryouts/Format of Tryouts: Deadline is Oct. 27, 2019 on-line at http://badmintoncanada.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament?id=A236894E-3543-4CBD-A287-DD1588A583D8
Contact information: President@federationbadminton.com
Athlete Eligibility Criteria:
1) Any player who is a member in good standing with YDBA district or Badminton Ontario;
a) Players must be members of an affiliated club in the YDBA district or Badminton Ontario;
b) Players do not need a Badminton Ontario Competition Player Card to tryout;
c) Players must have a current Badminton Ontario Competition Player Card to compete in the 2020 OWG (Games);
2) Players must be between 13 and 18 years of age during the Games (February 27-March 1, 2020);
3) Players will be selected according to YDBA selection process;
4) Players must be able to play in the Games (February 27-March 1, 2020) AND attend a majority of practices prior to the games;
5) Players must be Canadian citizens or have Canadian Landed Immigrant status;
6) Player’s school address, parents’ address, OR affiliated club must be within the boundaries of YDBA;
7) Any U19 athletes selected by Badminton Canada to represent Canada in any “external” multi-national event (e.g., Junior World Championships, the Junior/Senior Pan-Am Games, etc.) whether or not they actually attend the event are ineligible to participate in the 2020 OWG; and, in the case of any U15/U17 athlete selected as above (e.g., Jr. Pan Am Championships) each athlete is eligible to try-out and compete in the OWG if selected.
8) A player is not eligible to compete in the Games if they have played in a closed badminton championship in any other district, province or country in the previous season in which the Game’s are held.
9) Athletes can ONLY TRY OUT FOR ONE DISTRICT.
Please email to the above address if you have any questions or concerns. The team selection is based on the results of the selection tournament and up to the discretion of the OWG YDBA Coach and Manager.
There will be a $40 entry fee for the tryout tournament, which is paid on registration.
Players who qualify will be required to contribute towards the cost of uniforms. Accommodations and meals during the OWG’s are provided at no cost to the athletes, coaches, and managers.
1. Non marking shoes must be worn.
2. Players must follow Badminton Ontario protective eyewear policy.
3. You are responsible for any damage you cause to the premises or facility.
4. You must change in the appropriate changing rooms.
5. All shuttles will be provided.
6. The selection is based on singles and doubles only and you must play both to participate in the tryout. Although mixed doubles is part of the OWG’s competition we will not be using it for selection.
7. You are required to enter the doubles with a partner. If you do not have a partner you may enter partner request and we will attempt to find one for you, but if none is found you will not be able to compete in the tryout.
8. The selection criteria will be based on results from the tryout and will be published and explained to all participants prior to the tryout
9. Scoring system will be rally point to 21 points (win by 2 points or first to 30). Best of 3 games in all events.